Southern Lights - Product Launch
Felipe Gallardo • Nov 20, 2023
Dear Southern Lights community,
We're thrilled to announce the launch of the new version of the Southern Lights software for green hydrogen development, a milestone reached based on the remarkable insights you have provided us with.
The newly enhanced Southern Lights platform embodies our mission of being your co-pilot in navigating the green hydrogen development landscape. Here’s a glimpse into the upgraded features tailored to increase your project's success:
- Greater Flexibility with Multiple Power Sources: Tailored to accommodate varying energy dynamics and strategies to supply your electrolyzer plants such as off-grid, solar+grid, or wind+solar+grid among endless possibilities and combinations.
Figure 1: Multiple power source input module - Southern Lights platform
- Expanded Business Model options: We offer now several business models to represent your scenarios with acute precision ensuring your commercial structure is properly represented. Define production goals and hydrogen selling prices, model what happens with your surpluses, define constant or variable hydrogen demand with hourly resolution, or simply set a “sell all production” business model.
- Electrolyzer Catalogue: A broader spectrum of options reflecting the industry-leading expertise encapsulated within Southern Lights.
Figure 2: Electrolyzer performance model catalogue - Southern Lights platform
- Multiple Step-by-Step Simulation Types: Stepwise guidance through your project phases ensures cost and time efficiency in development. You can run step-by-step simulations and check what is happening with your assumptions for power input before choosing an electrolyzer, balance of plant, or business model.
- Simulation-Based Optimization Framework: Perhaps one of the most wanted features by our customers. You can now use Southern Lights to automatically calculate what configuration maximizes variables such as profitability, hydrogen production, and sales or use it to minimize LCOH, energy cost, or degradation.
Figure 3: Simulation-based optimization module - Southern Lights platform
These sfeatures aim to streamline your pre-feasibility studies, due diligence efforts for M&A opportunities, and project development process for a thorough yet swift decision-making process.
Figure 4: Financial modules and Cashflows - Southern Lights platform
This amazing journey so far has seen our team grow larger and stronger, driven by a shared passion for pioneering the world's standard green hydrogen software. The exceptional effort invested has now fructified into this new product, ready to propel your projects to new heights. This launch comes together with a new visual identity and logo as it marks the beginning of a new stage for our company.
As we continue to evolve, we're keen to keep harnessing your feedback. Our roadmap is broadening into ammonia, methanol, desalination, and batteries, among others. Our footprint now spans continents, with a growing customer base of energy project developers, EPCs, and consultancy companies in regions like Sweden, the USA, Spain, Italy, Poland, Chile, and more.
We're also expanding our collaborative horizon and have become members of the Hydrogen Associations of Sweden and Spain, and the H2UB-Hydroverse platform in Germany.
The European Hydrogen Week 2023 in Brussels will witness the official unveiling of the Southern Lights software globally. We’d be thrilled to welcome you to our stand if you're attending.
Your partnership fuels our pursuit of a sustainable and decarbonized future. Together, we're not only envisioning but actively sculpting a green hydrogen-powered tomorrow.
Thank you for being the true drivers of this revolutionary journey.
Warm regards on behalf of the Southern Lights Team,
CEO of Southern Lights AB